Monitor: Modes of Enclosure
SPACE is requiring masks and vaccination for all event attendees. Medical exemptions can be accommodated. Please refer to our current health and safety policies on the SPACE Reader for more information.
SPACE Gallery hosts an evening of short films presented in conjunction with Monitor: Surveillance, Data, and the New Panoptic, an exhibition on view at the Institute of Contemporary Art at Maine College of Art & Design, October 1 – December 10, 2021.
Programmed by filmmaker Sophie Hamacher, this selection of short films reflects on the role that images and their ownership play in the production of history and memory. From questions around simulations and visibility to playful interventions in the criminalization of communities of color, the films in this program examine the ways in which bodies and their representations are tracked, archived, manufactured, and ultimately enclosed.
Estimated program running time: 71min.
SELECTED SHORT FILMS
- It’s the Game ‘17, by Sondra Perry, 2018, 16min.
- Dear Bill Gates, by Sarah Christman, 2006, 17min.
- The FBI Blew up my Ice Skates, by Sara Ebrahimi and Lindsey Martin, 2016, 7 min.
- Mapping CCTV, by Manu Luksch, 2008, 2min 54s.
- Evidence of the Evidence, by Alexander Johnston, 2017, 22min.
- One Document for Hope, by Margaret Rorison, 2016, 7min.